I've mentioned Nini's imaginary friends before (here), but I thought I should update things for posterity. Fred was her first IF. He just kind of showed up. Coming over to play. Accompanying us on errands. That kind of thing. My favorite time was when I made Fred stay home (waiting on the back step) because Nini wouldn't hurry up and get into the car (we were late to get the kids from school, I think). She just cried and cried and cried. Later, Fred was joined by Dora and Boots. Turns out they're related, or something (they all have their interconnected relationships - Nini can keep them straight. I can't.). Then came Ron and then Elfie. These days it's mostly just Fred, Ron and Elfie. Though Ron's little sister (Sis) did make an appearance for a little while. Dora and Boots seem to be too busy adventuring, so we don't see them much any more. The best part is Nini knows these are imaginary friends. Even when Fred first showed up, she'd tell you he was her imaginary friend. Oh, but we'd better include them in things. And wow, have I been in trouble with Fred's mom, sometimes, when I haven't done what she wants done.
Anyway. Last week was Fred's birthday and so, to honor this important figure in our family, I made a cake and he and Ron and Elfie all came over to have some with Nini. The other kids complained. After all. Didn't Fred have a birthday back in April?
Nini, Fred, Ron and Elphie all sat down to have their party. A little bit later, Nini came to me and told me I had made a terrible mistake: Fred only likes chocolate frosting, not white. Oh dear, I told her, I guess you'd better help him eat his piece of cake then. She thought about that for a moment, smiled and ran back to her room.
No comments:
Post a Comment