
This post is a couple months late, sorry.
These are the bags I made for all the family for Christmas, so I didn't want to post pics until Christmas was over (so as to not ruin the surprise), but I didn't intend to wait this long after Christmas...
Many many moons ago I picked up some tapestry upholstery samples at the re-store. They've been sitting around ever since. They were beautiful fabrics, but such small pieces, that they wouldn't work for most of my sewing projects. Last fall I decided it was time to do SOMETHING with them. So, I pieced them together and made a bag.
I used a pattern from a 1979 copy of Family Circle (from the days of magazine cigarette ads). My Grandma gave me a pile of these old magazines many years ago. Rather than hold on to all of them, I went through and pulled out any of the patterns/ideas that I liked. One of those articles I saved was "Have bag, will travel" from 2/20/79, with patterns for several different bags. The pattern I used they called a "small shopping bag". It has two outside pockets on each side, a large interior space and I added a small interior pocket.


My bag has become my church bag. The pockets are the perfect size for manuals, magazines, small hymnal, etc., while the inside holds my scriptures, a zipper pouch of crayons and still has plenty of room for any other "kid stuff" that gets thrown in there.
It really is a handy thing.
I ended up making over a dozen different bags for Christmas. Some were random patchwork, like mine, others had alternating colors/patterns. I should have taken pictures.
I'm not sure what everyone else is doing with their bags, but I have heard from my Grandma that her bag has been extremely useful. She uses it every day, taking Grandpa to the doctor. The inside is perfect for holding their tiny cooler (with a soda for each of them), her spool of yarn, and her purse. The outside pockets hold all the paperwork/records, books, etc. She used to carry several bags and her purse. Now it all fits so nicely in just one bag. I am happy she is so pleased.
No comments:
Post a Comment