Thursday, February 14, 2013

hang a frame in the window?

I realized I never blogged about this bit of decorating...

A couple months ago Beorn made me a new bookshelf - custom made to fit in between (and match) the existing bookcases.  It would give us more book space and house our faux fireplace.  Because of said fireplace, the top of the bookshelf took on a slightly mantle feel as I set things there for display.  But no matter how many (or how few) plants and /or knickknacks I set there... it just seemed wrong.  Usually a mantle shelf will have a piece of art or the chimney brick for vertical interest.  But my big, blank window just wasn't doing that job very well.  It faces the carport - so the day-time view consists of the unfinished, weathered underside of the carport roof and other lovelies - like my garbage cans or the cars.  And then at night it is a big, black expanse.  Definitely not the "visual interest" my library was looking for.
 

So here was my solution.

I had inherited a big, beautiful, gold picture frame from my grandmother.  It is around 100 years old and one of a set of two that once upon a time held portraits of my great great grandparents.  I had been struggling finding a place to display it.  I had tried it in several spots, but they just didn't do it justice or it just didn't seem to fit.  Then one day I had this crazy idea - hang it in the window.  So I did - using the "handle" for the window lock as the hook for the wire on the back of the frame.  It doesn't hide the terrible view, but it does give the eye something else to focus on instead.  It was just what that window needed.


Here's another view .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment