My dad gave me some money for a belated birthday gift, so I decided to splurge and buy myself something I have wanted for years:
Meet George and Gracie, the newest members of the family. They're a little camera shy (and my camera isn't great) so they're more than a little blurry, sorry. Not 100% sure on their genders and they're NOT tame yet. It took them a day or so to realize we wouldn't eat them, and their still pretty skittish, but today (two weeks in) they both sat on my hand to eat seed (it helps that they were very hungry).
I have wanted birds for years. I had a parakeet when I was in high school and as an adult I've really wanted to do canaries. Unfortunately, $150 birds are WAY out of budget. Parakeets however... much more doable. I found the cat-resistant hanging cage at DI for $8 and then found someone local selling birds for cheap (ha-ha). Add the food and toys and I've got my new animal fix for under $40!
And yes, they're getting along fine with the rest of the menagerie. The cats were very interested the first day or so and even Trigger tried to get a closer look. But I made it clear that the birds are MINE and the other animals have left them alone. In fact, I should have taken a distance shot... the corner of my room consists of Trigger's crate, on top of which sits a cuddly kitty basket, above which hangs the bird cage. Makes for a funny picture when everyone is in their places.
No comments:
Post a Comment