Bucket had to miss the award ceremony for the Region Level Reflections Contest in January (he won! and is moving on to the state level!) because it was his ballroom cotillion that night. Bucket decided last summer that he wanted to take social dance as an elective. Honestly, I was very surprised when he signed up for it. I love ballroom, but he's never really shown any interest, and with his coordination and social struggles... I never thought he would seek out such a class. And it was a hard class for him. Not only is coordination hard for him, but dancing takes LOTS of social skills and LOTS of reading body language. He struggled a lot... he'd hide under the coats hanging on the wall, he'd go and bang his head against the wall, he'd randomly walk away from his partner in the middle of a dance... But as his teacher said, socially he learned more in those few months than most kids learn in a year of just going to school because it was so socially intensive.

He didn't even make the first cuts at the cotillion... but I couldn't be prouder of my boy. He learned the dance steps, learned to ask a girl to dance, learned to lead (really lead, not do a routine), and did a ton of growing.
No comments:
Post a Comment