Friday, February 12, 2016

Unifying the living room

And here's catch up on another months-old project.

I painted the paneling in the front room.  It took me five years to be certain I wanted to do it (and to get Beorn 100% on board).  You see, I didn't HATE the paneling.  It was a nice, caramel brown color and I knew I'd never get that wood tone back once I painted it.  But it really did make the the front room feel like two distinct areas - the beautiful library side and the not-so-pretty entry-way/piano side.  And I must not have like it on some level... because there really are NO pictures that show that side of the room.  Oh, you may catch a glimpse of it behind someone's head, but I was very careful to not have it show.  Over the years I toyed with painting the paneling green (like behind the bookcases) but I was afraid that would make the room too dark.  I toyed with painting it something light.  But I couldn't ever quite decide.  Finally (as part of my "make things light and bright" kick) I decided to paint the paneling the window trim color (which is also the hall color, the stripe in the curtains and the couch) - a nice yellowy cream.  And now the room feels .... whole.  It still is definitely a room divided (library vs entry), but it fits together much better and feels finished.





Project cost - under $30 for paint (the leftovers had dried out too much to use, so we had to color match a new gallon)

No comments:

Post a Comment