Hint... WHITE walls in the basement...
I repainted the family room months ago (it got lost the blog backlog). I decided I needed at least one room in my house to be light, bright and white(ish). I love my dark paint in the living room and my bedroom, but I was craving some light as well. So, I mixed up a bunch of leftover paint and made a white-tan-gray, inadvertently trendy, "greige" color. (If you'd like a reminder what things looked like before, check here.) It really opened up the room. (The big brown hutch I bought from a friend to house my art supplies now that Monkey is back in her own room.)
The art wall is all things the kids have made over the years - some of my favorites. I just bought a bunch of second-hand frames and spray painted them the same color. Some of the frames are intentionally too big. If there was a mat included I painted it the wall color, if not I just painted the backing paper. The result is the pictures look like they're floating in some of the frames, everything stays coordinated and unified and the art is what you notice.
The other side of the room looks better, too.
And the hall looks... clean. (My grandmother's comment when she first came downstairs after the repaint: "oh, you've been cleaning down here.") The gallery of art used to be located in the hall, but now with new paint and streamlined art, it just looks better. And the kids' art can be better appreciated in the family room.
Project cost: under $30, for frames and spray paint and adhesive wall mounts.
No comments:
Post a Comment