Thursday, August 16, 2012

glass tower

No, this is not some metaphorical post.  In brief, I made a tower out of vintage glass pieces.  I saw one in a yard on my morning walk and thought "I can do that!"  So I did.  It was a really fast and cheap project (only about $5, since we already had the glue).

We took a trip to the second-hand store and started matching up glass pieces.  I tried to find pieces whose diameters matched at each level, though the tower that inspired me does not always follow that rule.  You can use something narrow with something hanging over in the next level (e.g. narrow neck vase with upside down compote on top....)  W was my biggest helper.  He has a good eye for which pieces look good together and remembering the order we wanted to stack them.

Here they are: a very large vase, a large vase, a bowl/candy dish, a sundae dish, a glass and a candle holder.  I tried to stick with pieces with a similar look - vertical lines and/or pineapple cut.  I roughed up the tops and bottoms with sandpaper and then glued them with 5-minute epoxy. 

Here's the result, out in the garden.

I think it goes well with my other vintage glass out there.

(But, I need to get a pic when the sun hits that part of the yard, instead of late evening.)

2 comments:

  1. You are AMAZING! I love how your style is evident throughout your home and yard! It is so fun to see all you have invested of your time, talents and personalities! Thank you for my own tower of power! It reminds me of you and your strength!

    ReplyDelete