Saturday, September 22, 2012

Harvest time


Here's a sampling of a harvest from the garden.  The tomatoes have done really well and I've made lots of fresh salsa - almost entirely from home-grown ingredients.  Beorn has done TONS of pickles and we've harvested dozens of butternut squash and half a dozen mystery volunteer squash. 

The biggest plan for next year is to go VERTICAL as much as possible.  I'm brainstorming lots of ideas for good, sturdy, long lasting ways to get the tomatoes growing up, instead of all over.  Also, next year I'll plant more corn and plant it every couple weeks, to keep the harvest going longer.  I'll also (hopefully) remember that zucchini needs more space.  This year I had to cut it way back because it was taking over the walkway and then it quit producing. 

And next year I'll be able to plant even more because LOOK:

That's right!  I have no front lawn! 

(I'll post pics more pics of that project later.... and yes, that would be Stonehenge made out of cinderblocks.  What else would one do with the cinderblock foundation of the old planterbox?)

No comments:

Post a Comment