It seems whenever life gets especially dark and I can't see even the light at the end of the tunnel, my Heavenly Father sets aside a moment to remind me how aware he is of me and my situation. He will bless me with something seemingly small that fills my soul with the knowledge that I am loved. My last trip to the grocery store was one such experience. For weeks and weeks I had been eyeing the display of spring bulbs there at the store. Especially the white tulips. Oh, how they tempted me. They would be perfect in my backyard. But week after week I held strong and "just said no" and stuck to my budget and walked away from all those flowers. Week after week the display was more and more picked through and eventually they dropped the price. But still I told myself "no", the money was needed elsewhere (toilet paper really is important after all). I was very grateful they had moved the display to the north side the front doors, so I only passed it on my way out. Easier to avoid the temptation that way. But I'd sigh every time I walked past, wishing I could justify spending the money. Soon, there were only a handful left - and only two boxes of the white tulips. It made me sad to know I just couldn't have them and that they would probably be gone the next time I came in. But then I needed to make another trip to the grocery store just a couple days later. It had been an especially hard several days and I was feeling very discouraged. On the way to the store I decided I needed a pick-me-up bad enough to justify spending the few dollars... so, if there were still any white tulips left, I would buy them. I felt safe telling myself that because, at the price they were at, they were certainly already gone. I walked into the store... turned to the display... only to find... it was empty... except for two boxes of white tulips. I knew they had been left for me. Because my Father in Heaven knows my wants, as well as my needs and He knew this was a want that needed to be filled at that moment. I needed to be reminded of how close He is. I picked up the boxes, murmured a soft "thank you" and fighting back tears finished my shopping. The bulbs are in the ground now and I look forward to seeing them next spring. They will always remind me of how loved I am.
Thank you, Father.
No comments:
Post a Comment