Saturday, December 14, 2013

blog backlog

Yup, we once again fell victim to a rash of terrible computer problems... solved this time by my heroic brother dumping our two hard drives (three strikes, you're out) and installing a new one for us.  And by the time I had a working computer, I had so much I wanted to blog about that, of course, I kept putting it off.  Not sure why it works that way.  Too much means I just put it off.  I only get this way about a few things... journaling and washing dishes being two of the main ones.  No, really.  Ask my college roommates.  Ask my husband.  Once there's a stack of dishes, it is so hard for me to take them on.  So, like I must occasionally do with the backlog of dishes my daughter has put off (yup, that's one chore I happily delegate), I am taking on my missing blog entries:


November in brief

This is W and his Reflections entry titled "Dragon Distracting".  This year's theme was Believe, Dream, Inspire.  His artist statement said "this is me, distracting a dragon because it had gotten my big sister.  I believe I can do hard things."  He won an award of excellence (and $4!) and moved on to the District competition.  It was our first year doing Reflections (our previous school was a PTO and did their own thing) and I was the only member of the Reflections committee... so it was just me, the committee chair and the PTA pres.  It was a crazy couple weeks.

W also got an award for demonstrating "Determination".  Every month his school highlights a positive trait and the teachers each pick a child or two from their class who have shown that attribute.  My son is most definitely DETERMINED.
 
 
This was my addition to our Thanksgiving traditions - a thankful board.  I picked up a framed piece of woven mat at the secondhand store, cut a bunch of note cards into strips and we spent the month writing (and drawing) about things we were thankful for and sticking them into the weaving.  

We had our last few days with Hank.  His daddy is home this winter, so I'm not babysitting him any more.  In just a few weeks they'll be welcoming baby #2 to their home.  I'm looking forward to having another baby to borrow.

We put Samwise up for adoption and made arrangements for Trigger to go to a rescue.  Sad time, but I really need to find a way to reduce the stress in my life.
 
Bucket had an eschool fieldtrip to the planetarium.  Since Nini wasn't feeling well she stayed home and I decided to let W skip school and use her ticket.  The boys had lots of fun learning about planets.  Here they are on Mars:




Thanksgiving this year was held at our house.  First time in 14 years that I've had to cook a Thanksgiving dinner.  We had my mom and my sister and her husband come.  It was quiet, small and a good time, but I forgot to take any pictures (and the table was so pretty...).  The next day... the Christmas tree went up!


December thus far

Sam went to a new home.  He had several families interested, but things kept falling through.  Finally, last weekend, a great family took our boy home.  I am very happy he has found a good home with new owners who are excited to build on the training he got here.  He has been adjusting well to life with only two kids and one cat.  It's a pretty open adoption (like I was hoping for) so I can hear how he's doing and give them training tips and answer questions.  (Yes, Trigger is still here.  I keep wavering on giving him up... don't know what will happen there....).

I love how well these boys get along.  Proof that friends can be very different from each other.  Tom is an outgoing, freedom loving, get his own way, go in and out of the house kind of cat, while Duncan is a timid, shy, scared, reserved, hide from everyone, would rather die than take a step out of the house kind of cat.  And yet they will happily snuggle and play and get along just fine.

Beorn was a vendor at the Beehive Bazaar.  Here is a glimpse of all his amazing recycled bottle wares:

No comments:

Post a Comment