Saturday, March 26, 2011

I need to learn to relax

We went to see a movie last night as a family. It was a pretty big step for me - taking all the kids to see a show that didn't start till 7:15pm. You see, I'm pretty strict about bed times. W should be in bed between 5 and 6pm (he doesn't nap), for everyone else, bed time is 7pm (though I do let the older two stay up till 8pm reading, sometimes). I only considered such a "late" movie because Nini took a late nap and W took one too. So... taking us all out for some family fun should be relaxing and fun, right? Nope. We had just enough time between karate and the show to do a QUICK dinner and get Beorn home from work. So I was tense and pushed the kids to be "faster, faster". But even trying to hurry everyone along, we arrived late to a sold out show (thank goodness for buying tickets online) and had to sit on the very front row, not all together. Then I spent the show worrying about the younger two's behavior: were they sitting still, being quiet, keeping their 3-D glasses on, etc. Then I was hurrying everyone out to the car through the crowds and trying to get them to calm down and be ready to go to bed when we got home. Honestly, the whole thing was not fun for me at all. Now, I've often joked with other mothers about how a family vacation ISN'T a VACATION. There is no vacation in it for the parents. It's something you do for your kids - for their memories. But... maybe I just need to learn to relax. Things don't have to be perfect. Well planned and executed does not always equal FUN. Go ahead, be late to the movie. Go ahead, let the kids make some noise in the theatre. Go ahead, let them be wild in the car on the way home. Go ahead, relax... and enjoy my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment