Thursday, March 17, 2011
To be [gifted], or not to be, that is the question
I have assumed for years that Bucket would attend the gifted magnet for 4th through 6th grade. He is so exceptional - of course a gifted magnet would be the right place for him. But then we started noticing how much he struggled with aspects of school and began to question just what his issues were. Then I had a teacher tell me she had heard the "gifted" magnet was really an "accelerated" magnet and that they did two hours of pencil/paper math every day. That would kill Bucket. So, I wrote off the magnet. But since Bucket has been on meds, he's a new person. Well, a new student anyway. Instead of only producing amazing work here and there, leading us to believe he was capable of more but only performed "when he wanted to", he is now consistently producing amazing work. His teacher says he's improved like 600%. His handwriting has gone from chicken scratch (when you could get him to write) to neat and well done. He will now actually write stories instead of just briefly annotate comics. I'm sure this change is what prompted his teacher to talk to me last week. She came to me saying that, although he probably wouldn't test into the magnet, he shows all the signs of being gifted and did I want her to try to get him in? I decided to call the district and ask some questions. It took quite a while for someone to get back to me, but in the end they invited me to attend the open house at the magnet last night. Although I saw many things that Bucket would enjoy, the way they handle math means it won't be a good match for us. You see, the parents of another student in Bucket's class were there. Their son is a math genius, but really struggles with reading, language - all literacy aspects. I listened in while they expressed their concerns - they were told that the program would totally work with their son, even busing him to the regular school if needed. He could have all the remediation he needed. When I expressed my concerns with Bucket and math (he understands it all, but he doesn't do it FAST - he's just as likely to come back with another math problem that gets the same answer, rather than just tell you the answer) I was told I could let him try it and if it didn't work I could pull him out of the program. Now, I understand that the focus of the magnet is math & science, so they want to keep the spots for kids who excel in those areas, but I was disappointed to find that the district can not serve a child gifted in literacy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment