Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My son, Frankenstien



I've been a mother for 11 years - and finally had a child need stitches!!

Our Memorial Day was supposed to include an extended family BBQ at our house. I was really looking forward to having all of my family together. But, just as we started, W fell out of the swing and hit his head - HARD - and off we ran to get stitches (my youngest brother and his wife came along for the fun). First we tried our Urgent Care center. Drove all the way out there, only to find they were closed for the holiday. So, I called the Pediatrician's office. I was put on hold and got there before they picked the line back up (they were very busy). The doctor wouldn't be able to see W for three hours, so the nurse offered to tape the cut closed, in the meantime. She took one look at the cut and said the doctor would be sending us to the ER. W's cut was deep - all the way down to the membrane that covers the skull. They could stitch it up there in their office, but at the ER, W could be sedated. So, we headed to the hospital. W was extremely calm the whole time (he was happily talking to everyone and watching movies on his auntie's phone). So calm, that the ER doctor wouldn't hear of sedating him at first, but after hearing him SCREAM while they cleaned it and SCREAM while they numbed it and SCREAM while he started the first stitch... the doctor stopped and recommended sedation. That made life much easier. In the end, W got six stitches inside, seven stitches on the surface and an extra stitch for a small second cut. It didn't really need a stitch, but since we were there... We didn't return from our adventures till almost 10pm. W was very sad that his uncle with the TRANSFORMERS had already left (they had a baby to put to bed).



Here he is pre-injury:

This is the next morning. Still a pretty big goose-egg.

By that night the swelling had moved to between his eye brows. I thought he looked rather Romulan.

Day 2 - the swelling has moved into his eyes.


Day 3 - it's hard to see, but he does have a black eye. (and yes, he's still wearing the same jammies, as long as he put on clean underwear, I decided it wasn't worth the fight...)

2 comments:

  1. Poor guy. Well, now when he grows up he can tell all his friends he got it from a knife fight with pirates in the Tortugas. That ought to wow the ladies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know that I would have even fought the underwear fight! Wishing him, and you, the best and quickest of recoveries.

    ReplyDelete