Friday, July 8, 2011

Mosquito bites

According to the Tribune,there are 17 species of mosquitoes found in the city (I assume the numbers are similar down here) and it looks like I was bit by three different species yesterday.

#1 - a small red bump, only mild itchiness, easily ignored till it goes away. Bump is still there, though.

#2 - itches like CRAZY and even without scratching it turns into a large (about the size of a quarter) raised, white welt surrounded by red skin. Day two: itches if touched and mild redness. Luckily the perpetrator was caught in the act and payed the ultimate price for my blood. It helps me feel better.

#3 - Constant itch, not relieved by lack of scratching, or hydrocortisone cream. Large swollen area (about 2" by 2" - my arm looked deformed). Today the swelling is a bit smaller and a little sore and there's a bump at the actual bite location. I figure this species must be relatively rare, since I've only had a handful of bites like this in my whole life. I've always thought it must be a kind of mosquito I'm allergic to... and after doing some reading online, I think that really is the case, since not all mosquito saliva is created equal. Some mosquito species have different antigens in their saliva.

I know. I know. Strange thing to blog about.

No comments:

Post a Comment