No, there aren't any aliens in my life.
It's just that it seems, no matter what I pick up to read these days (and I've been reading A LOT!), I find the same messages. The same ideas repeated over and over. It's not too surprizing when books/articles on depression, happiness, child rearing, families, education and religion echo each other... but I must admit I was shocked to find it repeated once again in a mediocre sequel to Pride and Prejudice.
From The Independence of Miss Mary Bennet:
[while discussing the fate of some children, nearing the end of the book]
"Joys, Jane? I don't think poor children have any. Whereas children of our own class tend to have too many, which makes them expect joys - and gives them a perpetual discontent that follows them all of their lives. Comfort should be ever-present, and joys merely an occasional treat. Save for the only joys that truly matter - the company of brothers, sisters and parents." - Mary Bennet
It seems that I have found a truth - now that I know to look for it, I find it every where. The question now remains... what am I to do with this truth?
No comments:
Post a Comment