Wednesday, May 2, 2012

counting chickens before they hatch

or at least, counting yolks...
The egg on the right is a normal sized egg - laid by B.C. (Baby Cordy), the one in the center is a typical Ruby egg - monstrously huge.  The one on the left was a super giant Ruby egg and we all got excited to have our second ever double yolk!  But it wasn't.  So sad.

And now, at risk of once again counting my chickens to soon, or possibly jinxing everything...  I just have to say how happy we are with Bucket's new meds!!!  It was scary to change to a different drug.  The first ADD medication we tried made him paranoid, the second seemed pretty good and he was on it for over a year.  But, it has felt like we weren't getting everything out of it that we wanted.  He seemed to be backsliding as the year went on.  So we upped the dose.  The result was better attention and performance at school, but he REALLY couldn't sleep (averaging six hours per night) and was weepy at school.  We tried letting him sleep in and got permission for him to come late to school (so glad I insisted on that 504, so they have to accommodate him), but he was still up right at 6.  So, we dropped the dose back down, but then the comparison made it obvious how much that dose wasn't working - he was back to wandering around the classroom and wandering around at recess, rather than playing with his group of friends.  I think it was the social withdrawal that most concerned his teacher.  Bucket has put together a cute little group of kids and they spend recesses engaged in all kinds of creative activities.  His withdrawal made his friends think he was mad at them.  So, we met with the pediatrician and he recommended trying one last medication before we turn the prescribing over to a pediatric psychiatrist with more experience dosing ADD kids.  I must admit changing his meds worried me.  Would my son go all psycho again?  But, happily, this med seems to be a great match.  Bucket is more HIMSELF.  That inventive, quirky, funny boy we love.  The moody, rigid, distant boy doesn't come out until evening, if at all.  And he's sleeping!  Averaging nine hours a night.  He's even slept until 7 most mornings.  His teacher called yesterday to say how happy they are at school.  It's the best he's ever been!  Oh, how I hope we have finally found the right meds to help Bucket.  If we can help him get around his ADD... I truly think my boy will do great things in life.  His brain is amazing.  He can come up with the most inspiring and creative ideas literally faster than he can get them down on paper.  We just need to be sure he can focus on that paper.

2 comments:

  1. We get a double yoker every once in a while, it's so fun! I'm really happy for you about Bucket. I hope it continues to work. If his brain is anything like yours he is amazing!

    ReplyDelete