Thursday, November 29, 2012

when you can't reframe a picture

I recently inherited some wonderful things from my grandma.  She is downsizing and gifting all kinds of things to her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.  One of the treasures she gave me was a picture that hung in her mother's home.  (I remember it hanging there.)  It's a beautiful print, but the frame is pretty banged up.  Normally, I'd say just reframe it... but it is in its original frame, with the original, 100-year-old torn-up paper on the back.  I just couldn't lose that history. 

So... I decided to double frame it.  I found another beautiful frame in my collection (I have a stash of frames, ready for when I'll someday have time to paint) and hung it around the original frame.  The wall color showing between the frames acts like a mat.  The frame was one I picked up in High School and have kept with me all these years because I thought it was so pretty.  It was white, which wouldn't match my bedroom decor, so I repainted it using old spray paint (scavanged from my grandpa's garage and some craft paint).  I love the result!



No comments:

Post a Comment