Nini has been anxiously awaiting her birthday for months - she couldn't wait to be FOUR. This year I decided to decorate for her birthday. It seemed like the right thing to do after she told me, the day before her birthday, in vivid detail about the party we had last year - with hats and those "blowy" things. I reminded her that we just had one friend over for cake... and she looked confused. I think she must have had a vivid dream. So I decided to spent a few dollars at the dollar store, broke out my cupcake tree and decorated the kitchen so it at least looked like a birthday, even if we weren't having friends over. Now the hats and blowy things could be a real memory.
Here she is opening her presents on mom and dad's bed first thing in the morning.
Here's her marshmallow polka-dot cake.
And as the finishing touch to the day... she realized that she and her friend (who's a year older) are now the "same size" ... since right now they're both four.

Nini is such a sweet, helpful and cheerful girl. She loves to color, to swing and climb, and to listen to my old "read along with me in your book" tapes. The past few days have been especially wonderful. She has diligently made her bed, cleaned her room, done her chores, practiced the piano... all without being asked and with a smile on her face and a song on her lips. Is there something magic about turning four? or is she just internalizing her new favorite songs? Grandpa gave her a new CD for her birthday and now she listens to it all the time. She memorized the songs almost immediately and walks around singing "I came to earth with power to choose, good choices bless me and my family too,... in my own home I'll happily serve, I'll strengthen my family by my good works, as a child of God I receive special light, the Holy Ghost helps me to know what is right." and "I lived with Jesus before my birth, I felt His spirit, believed in his words... I will stay on the path, He has shown me the way, I believe in His teachings, I want to obey, I will keep His commandments, for I always know, one day I'll return to my heavenly home." There is something wonderful about hearing a child express such sweet and simple faith.

Nini is truly the bright spot of my day and my treasure.
No comments:
Post a Comment