What makes you happy? Where do you find joy in your life?
There are only a couple responses so far... short lists like "family and friends"
I started writing my list and found it just kept going. That is what hit me first - that my list was LONG - and then that the more I thought about it, the more things I could think of to add (I'm still finding more ideas coming to mind).
When I looked back at my list I found it interesting how closely it matched my "signature strengths" I identified after reading "the Happiness Advantage" a couple months ago. (You can learn yours at viacharacter.org. Your signature strengths are the top 5 in your assessment.) According to the research, the more you live true to your signature strengths - the more happiness you experience. So is it any wonder that the very first things that came to mind for me are directly related to mine...
Here's the list I posted:
nature, music, art, spirituality, family, friends, helping things grow, animals, learning, making things beautiful... walks on the mountain with my dog, sunshine through the window, the smell of rain, flowers, watching my kids play, painting, reading, finishing projects, sunsets...
Here are my signature strengths:
1.Appreciation Of Beauty & Excellence
Noticing and appreciating beauty, excellence, and/or skilled performance in various domains of life, from nature to art to mathematics to science to everyday experience.
2.Bravery
Not shrinking from threat, challenge, difficulty, or pain; speaking up for what’s right even if there’s opposition; acting on convictions even if unpopular; includes physical bravery but is not limited to it.
3.Spirituality
Having coherent beliefs about the higher purpose and meaning of the universe; knowing where one fits within the larger scheme; having beliefs about the meaning of life that shape conduct and provide comfort.
4.Honesty
Speaking the truth but more broadly presenting oneself in a genuine way and acting in a sincere way; being without pretense; taking responsibility for one's feelings and actions.
5.Love Of Learning
Mastering new skills, topics, and bodies of knowledge, whether on one's own or formally; related to the strength of curiosity but goes beyond it to describe the tendency to add systematically to what one knows.
And more happy things keep coming to mind.... holding a sleeping baby, teaching, accomplishing something that was hard, helping someone, singing harmony, long talks with friends, the sound of thunder, a clean room, vintage glass, sprouting seeds, getting unusual things to grow and thrive, finding a good deal, finding a treasure no one else recognized, finding growing things under the dead of winter, sitting under a shady tree in summer, seeing my kids succeed in things that are hard for them, finding the perfect gift for someone, sitting around the campfire with family, sunlight through leaves... I'm pretty sure the list is probably infinite. The more I think about it - the more I will come up with. There is just so much to be happy about, so much to find joy in... if we look for it.
I've had many (feels like too many) discussions with family members the past week about feeling happy... being in a house rife with depression has helped me appreciate my choices to NOT be depressed. I come from a family line full of depression and anxiety. I fight my genetic tendencies every day. I decided growing up that I wanted to look positively at things - assume people are my friends, look at life from the perspective of others (rather than just mine - and getting my feelings MORE hurt), assume things will go well, find reasons to be happy. I've added to that resolve by DOING things - reading and learning happy-making skills and consciously CHOOSING to put them into practice. Catching myself when I get in unhappy-making thinking patterns.
It's hard.
Life is hard.
But when I can just pop out a big list of happy-making-things...
I guess I'm really doing ok.
Because, as hard as life is,...
Life is wonderful.
...and maybe life is wonderful BECAUSE it is hard. Because life being hard gives us contrast, experience and knowledge. I believe gaining experience and knowledge is the purpose of life. As easy and fun as it would be to have life be perfect and simple and pleasurable ALL the time... that is not the path to knowledge and to lasting JOY.
I'm glad I chose this plan, this life, that will lead to knowledge, growth and joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment