Friday, October 7, 2011

birthday season - take two

Yup, it's that time of year again. The kids all have their birthdays in the spring and Beorn and I have our birthdays in the fall. Just two days apart. So on the day between, here's my birthday post for him.

For Beorn's b-day I made a chocolate bacon cake. Yes, you heard right, bacon - as in the meat. Beorn often comments that "everything is better with bacon" and even said the bacon chocolate bar he was given ages ago (I think they may have meant it as a gag gift) was "most delicious." So, when I found this cake recipe in a Better Homes and Gardens, I knew it was meant for my hubby: It is a made from scratch chocolate cake. The frosting has bacon drippings and liquid smoke and there is chopped bacon in the frosting between the cake layers. (And yes, we put a piece of bacon on the top instead of rose petals as the recipe suggested.)

It turned out good (even the little kids liked it) but it is not for the faint at heart. Let's just say, death by chocolate, dark chocolate.

Happy birthday to my honey!

1 comment:

  1. Super impressed once again by your mad cooking skills. Happy Birthday to you both!

    ReplyDelete