
Christmas Day we had dinner with Beorn's family. We got home late, so I was trying to quickly get the kids in bed. When I noticed Nini's diaper was dry I made her sit on the potty, since success was likely. We've been "discussing" potty training with her for months. She understands the theory and has occasionally used the potty. But she hasn't had the desire. She wanted her diapers. After potty training three kids, I've learned it's not worth fighting them. I like the "train in one day" - when they're ready - i.e. they WANT to - it's so much easier on everyone. Anyway, Nini has been insisting for months that she doesn't want the potty, that she's happy with diapers. Last week I decided to throw peer pressure at her. She told me that babies AND little girls (like her) wear diapers. So I responded with her Nursery friends who are her size, but don't wear diapers. She wasn't happy with me, but when we ran into one friend, I had the mother confirm to Nini that her friend doesn't wear diapers...
So, Christmas night Nini successfully used the potty. I made the required fuss and she asked "does that make you happy?" Oh yes! and I made more fuss and gave her a big hug. She chose an Oreo as her treat. The next morning she was dry, so again we ran for the potty. Success! And again I made a fuss and told her that her using the potty was my favorite Christmas present. She continued to stay dry and use the potty the whole day, even with us traveling and visiting family all day.
So now, day three... she's still 100% successful. She lets me know her successes and often asks me "are you happy?" "Oh, yes, this is my favorite Christmas present!" I respond.
It really reminds me of her big sister. Monkey was a nightmare to train. We battled for months. She would go if she wanted something, but just offering her a treat wouldn't get her on the potty. She would wait until she saw something she wanted, then run and use the potty and come back saying she wanted "X" since she used the potty. So I knew she was capable, but just lacked the desire. Then one day, when she ran into the bathroom because there was something she wanted, I sat by her on the edge of the tub. I was making the requisite fuss over using the potty. Then I tried a different tack... I said "it will make mommy so happy when you use the potty every day." She responded "Mama, I'm gonna use the potty every day." And she did. From that moment on. Perfectly.
For all of my kids, potty training has been a snap, once they decided they wanted to do it and I find it interesting that for my girls, pleasing Mom has been a big part of that.
Thank you Nini for a great Christmas present!
No comments:
Post a Comment