It hasn't been an ospicious beginning.
W started school Wednesday.
Despite the new school, new teacher, new kids, he didn't seem nervous and happily waved me away as the school bell rang. He 1st grade assessment was after school that first day. After testing him, he teacher told me she would probably give him some different work to do these first couple weeks, since he is so high and would be bored reviewing letters. I said it was a good idea, since she would lose him if he was bored. She smiled and told me she had lost him several times that first day, only she hadn't realized it was because he was bored. Turns out she's working on her gifted endorsement and just finished a class on children with super-high IQ's, so she was excited to talk about W and wanted to talk about his early development. I left the class feeling hopeful, that W would have a great year with a teacher who is willing (and able) to give him the things he needs.
Yes, I may be crazy to add to my already heavy burden, but I signed up to be the room-mother and to come help in the classroom once a week and to teach an art lesson once a month. I know that being an involved, helpful and supportive parent is the BEST way to get on the teacher's good side and to insure they give your child everything they can. And given W's issues and needs... it's probably good I did:
Because then came day two... and W's complete meltdown over an assignment. Yup, we're talking I can't do this, you can't make me, on the floor, kicking and screaming, refusing to comply, ending up in the office, talking to the principal, they want him to see the school psychologist, kind of meltdown. And of course, since I missed the call and they didn't leave a message, I didn't know about it until after school. Best I can figure - W was over-analyzing the assignment (write two "I can..." sentences). It seems he needed to have just the "right" sentences - ones that were ACCURATE and the were sufficiently AWESOME about himself - things he thought would impress - and that would fit in the train car motif of the assignment. And either he wasn't comfortable discussing it with his teacher, or didn't know HOW to put his feelings into words. And so, the meltdown.
So, today began with him giving a before school apology to his teacher, my sharing what I think happened, giving suggestions on how to handle any future meltdowns and asking that they leave a message if I don't answer, so I can know if there's a problem and come and handle it myself, if needed. Hopefully, I'll get a good report today...
And now, Bucket. Since we're doing online school for him this year, we didn't technically have to start on Wednesday... but I thought it would be a good idea. And can we say HEADACHE. Between trying to figure out the OLS website, the new system, the unclear instructions, the spanish class we can't access, trying to get the computer to upload stuff... it took all day. After the first couple hours my shoulder started to cramp. It's something that happens sometimes when I get stressed - it all goes into one shoulder, that will cramp so hard it injures the muscle and I spend a few days popping ibuprofen while it heals. But on the bright side - it looks like this will be a really good match for Bucket. He likes the computer interface and I think the freedom to move fast/slow, take breaks, read snuggled up on the couch and getting the one-on-one from me will really help him be successful.
And poor Monkey, she started eighth grade yesterday and between everything with the boys, I forgot to get any pictures of her. So, you'll just have to believe me - she looked gorgeous. She's very excited about this year. She made it into Advanced English and Advanced Science. She has the same math teacher she started out with last year. It really says something that he remembered her (by name) even though she was only in his class the first week of school. And then her last year's math teacher greeted her by name in the hall last night at back-to-school-night. Actually, all of her teachers seemed to know her, by name, after only one day of school. Yup, my daughter is memorable. She is not shy, she is helpful, she participates and teachers love her.
No comments:
Post a Comment