Sunday, August 18, 2013

With God all things are possible

This lesson started off like a lesson on trials, including the question "Why do you think people who trust in God respond to trials so differently from people who do not?"  But I wanted to emphasize that the lesson was about more than trials -  "I can do ALL THINGS through Christ which strengtheneth me." (Phil 4:13)  And that really does mean all things - anything that is keeping us from progressing. 

I discussed the story of the rich young man - the one Christ told to give all he had to the poor and ]follow Him... "the Lord desired him to give up these ideas [that wealth was the object in life], and to dislodge them from his mind and feelings."  The question then should be "what ideas, thought patterns, desires, behaviors, etc. does the Lord want me to dislodge?".... because "with God all things are possible."  God has promised to help us in our personal efforts to live the gospel. That means we can receive whatever aid we need to overcome whatever is holding us back from progressing - fear, addictions, insecurities, trauma - everything and anything. 

"In and of ourselves we cannot possible comply with all the commandments that God has given to us... and in every circumstance and condition... [the Latter-day Saints] are entitled to supernatural aid from the Holy Spirit, to help in the various conditions surrounding them, and in the duties that they are required to perform." - We were never meant to do this entirely on our own. 

"Whatever you may undertake for the furtherance of the interests of Zion, you must depend upon the Lord for its success."  Depend means to place reliance or trust.  Reliance is to have confidence based on experience or to be dependent on.  Trust is confidence, dependence, faith, belief, hope - to do something without fear or misgiving.  Several years ago, when Nini was still in Nursery, I was called away from Relief Society to change her diaper.  We went into the bathroom, took care of her diaper, and then I stood her up on the changing counter to pull up her tights.  After I finished, and without warning, she jumped off the counter and into my arms.  Now you have to understand, I wasn't ready, or expecting this jump, but of course, mommy instincts took hold and I caught her and off we went, back to nursery.  But as I walked back to the Relief Society room, the reality of what had just happened started to sink in and I realized my two-year-old had just taught me a powerful lesson in trust.  She jumped off the edge without doubt, without hesitation - there was no doubt in her mind that I would catch her.  How often am I willing to jump, trusting that my loving Heavenly Father will not let me fall.  Nini had confidence in me, based on experience.  My Heavenly Father has shown me time after time that He will not let me fall. I need to have the childlike faith and trust to step into the unknown, knowing he will catch me.  He will give me whatever help I need.  I can trust that.  I can do all things with His help.

No comments:

Post a Comment