Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Childlike

Sometimes you need kids, and the open-minded way they view the world, to remind you how great life is.

Today it has been snowing.  All day.  The constant fall of thick clumps of snow that makes you happy to be inside, with nowhere you have to go.  Light enough that you can't say it's too bad to go out, but heavy enough to mean constant accumulation and icky roads.  And just when it seems over (and you run out and get things shoveled) it picks right back up and slowly drops another inch or two of snow.  I've shoveled twice already today, and there's already another inch sitting there.  I'm afraid I get rather "anti-snow" after Christmas.  I'm ready for spring.  Ready to plan my garden, plant seeds and get going.  But, as I explained to Nini today, we could easily have another 4 months of this.  Ugh. 

I try to always meet W after school, so we can walk at least part of the way home together and talk.  With the thick snow falling down this afternoon, it was tempting to just stay home and wait for him to arrive, but I went out anyway.  I rounded our corner to see dozens of elementary kids coming down the sidewalk.  Some by themselves, some in small groups.  Some quiet, some talking.  But all of them just trudging along in the thick snowfall.  Finally enough bodies parted for me to see my child in the distance... the only one with his face upturned, mouth wide open, to catch the huge snow flakes as they fell.  Somehow he was managing to still walk forward without really seeing where he was going.  It was one of those great mommy moments, watching my son, without him knowing.  When he finally faced forward, he had a huge grin on his face - even before he saw me, so I know the smile wasn't for me.  His grin was for how wonderful it was to walk outside in this snow and catch it on his tongue.  He didn't see the difficult commute, the sidewalks to shovel... all he saw was the fun, the beauty, the wonder.

Yup, these giant flakes are awesome. Thank you for reminding me.

No comments:

Post a Comment