Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Garden

Those who know me, know how I love plants and gardening. I have been very excited to finally have a yard and garden that are MINE. (We had a garden at our last place and after five years, I finally had it going GOOD. Hope the new tenants are enjoying it.) This year's garden got a late start. I was starting from scratch (cutting out sod, pulling up ivy, building boxes, etc) and all the rain this year made it a slow project. But here's how it's going:

This is the view of the garden. It's back in the corner, between the studio and the vinyl fence. The woven branch fence is all home grown. Yup, all those branches came out of our yard. It gave us something to do with all the branches (instead of the landfill) and makes a nice divider. I like the English Cottage Garden look. I started all the plants in the garden from seed.

This is walking into the garden. So far there are four finished beds and two partials. (I gave up fighting the ivy and existing bulbs... I'll tackle them next year) All of the stone for the garden beds and walkways are "home grown" as well. They are the cement pieces from the piece we had to take out under the carport to put in the new window well. Also, some pavers left over from redoing the paved walkway to the studio. The compost bins were made out of pallets. So... NO MONEY SPENT. Very important in our budget.

This is the view to the left. Compost bins, sunflowers and zucchini. There is a little spinach left under there as well. It made a good companion for the zucchini - by the time the zucchini got huge, the spinach was pretty much finished.


This is the view to the right. It's a jungle....This makes more sense of that view to the right. On the right of the path are tomatoes, mini pumpkin, and a white pumpkin. On the left are squash, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers and a big pumpkin. The white pumpkin and big pumpkin are taking over the "unfinished" part of the garden. The branching paths are getting pretty overgrown.
Two kinds of pumpkings growing side by side. Yellow pear tomatoes.
Butternut squash.There's also a small satilite garden in the side yard. It won't stay, but it gave me more space for this year - and less space for weeds to grow. Eventually I want berries in the side yard and no front lawn... it will all be herbs, flowers and garden. Trust me, it will be beautful.


And here is my greenhouse! It's a small, Harbor Freight one, but fits my needs. It's not doing much right now - seed starting is over - but it will be back to work again come fall. Here's the pride and joy of the greenhouse: my green pepper plant. It is four feet tall. I started it from seed a year and a half ago. Grew it inside during the winter and now it has a happy home and is producing a ton.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing! I certainly wish I had even a tenth of the green thumb you do. I guess when the world ends, we'll be moving in with you to eat all your food storage. :P Seriously though - it looks great! And I'm happy for you to have your own space to finally make perfect. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have always had an amazing talent to make something wonderful out of not much! I think those plants just know when to obey when you touch them too! I need you to come and talk to a few of my trees, they are stuggling, and not being obedient.

    ReplyDelete