Saturday, September 24, 2011

the problem with being third

The problem with being the third child in this family is mom usually takes the easy way out on your Halloween costume. I have made extravagant costumes over the years for my older two kids, but W seems to get short changed. (I wish I had a scanned pic of Bucket's robot costume from two years ago. Yes, it was a "painted cardboard box", but it had lights and greeblies and was WAY cool. Unfortunately he ended up being very sick that day and the costume didn't really get used.)

W had a great costume for his first real Halloween (when he was one), but only because we came up with a theme for that year. The three kids were Team Rocket from Pokemon, so W had to have a great Meowth costume. For his second Halloween he wore a hand-me-down jaguar costume. When he was three, he actually had an opinion about his costume. He wanted Thomas the Tank Engine. So, I went out and bought one. Oh, the shame. I knew I could make something much cooler, but I didn't want to take the time.

And it really must be something about being third. Youngest doesn't seem to suffer in the same way. Nini didn't care what she was last year, but I found her a little lamb and made sure to make her an awesome bonnet. She didn't get a store bought costume...



This year W wants to be a Transformer. So, first thing I did was look online to see how much one would set me back. Didn't even think of making it myself. Luckily, I found one at DI yesterday. It needed some repair and didn't have the mask, but hey, it was $5!



I may be able to redeem myself by helping him turn our knight helmet into Optimus Prime's head.

No comments:

Post a Comment