*****WARNING: SOAPBOX POST******
A friend of mine posted this link on facebook today. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/8749863/Prince-Charles-warns-of-sixth-extinction-event.html
Since the article involved several loves - including the environment and English Royalty - I had to read it. My friend was upset over the 'global warming/people destroying the earth' parts of Prince Charles speech. But, I'm not going to get into the argument about whether or not or how much people are affecting the planet, good science vs. bad science, or how much of this is just a huge conspiracy.
Although these issues are close to my heart (I majored in Envirmonmental Studies, after all), honestly, I don't think those questions are what is most important here.
What is important is the fact that Price Charles is proving himself a hypocrite.
I've already blogged about how much it bothers me when people say one thing, but do another. Now let's see... what is making the news? Prince Charles talking about how "people" need to change their lifestyle or Prince Charles changing his lifestyle? **ding ding** CORRECT! It's him talking, not doing. And let's be clear here, he's not talking about manditory curbside recycling, he's talking about major paradigm and lifestyle changes.
People "chang[ing] their lifestyles so they consume less petrol, food and other resources."
“There is an urgent need for all of us to concentrate our efforts on sustaining, nurturing and protecting the Earth’s natural capital and, moreover, reshaping our economic system so that Nature sits at the very heart of our thinking.”
And what about his Royal Highness? Has he sold off his multiple homes and is now living comfortably in a modest home? Has he stopped buying "stuff" that he doesn't need? All those "toys"? What about the fleet of cars? The extravagant vacations? The exorbitantly priced suits? The gourmet meals? He's given all those things up, right? He's now living a ZERO IMPACT kind of life. Oh, wait... he means that the REST OF US should change our lifestyle, but he needs to maintain his. I'm sure the argument would go ... something, something, image, something, something, morale, something, something, leader... Royal... international status. Bah. All I have to say is HYPOCRITE. Put your money where your mouth is. Don't tell us what to do - show us. Any good parent can tell you, the best way to teach is by example. Telling your children what to do doesn't do any good if you're not doing it yourself.
If you REALLY believe the planet is in danger and that the answer is to dramatically change how people live, then you should dramatically change YOUR life.
(grumble grumble)
I'm with you. If you want people to follow, you first have to lead. And Charles doesn't get to extricate himself from the responsibility by claiming royal privilege. He should have been raised with the concept of noblesse oblige fixed firmly in his mind.
ReplyDeleteCompare Charles' behavior with that of his great-grandfather, George V. During WWI he endured some of the same privations of war as the rest of his people (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Sackville-West,_6th_Baron_Sackville for one example). A ruler who can honestly write to a little boy, "I too miss having sugar on my porridge" is a man who walks the walk.
ReplyDelete