Sunday, April 10, 2016

gimpy

Here's how I spent the last session of conference.


In a truly "me" moment, I missed a step walking out my own front door and rolled my ankle.  Hard.  I limped back into the house crying (a lot).  My husband and kids didn't hardly know what to do.  Mom just doesn't cry like that.  I took 800mg of ibuprofen, put ice on it... and kept on crying.  I'm pretty well versed in ankle sprains, (I started with a really great one - six weeks in a cast - when I was twelve.) but this one hurt in a spectacular way.  I don't remember crying like that with any of the others.  So, when it didn't swell up hardly at all, I started to feel like I've just become a wimp in my old age.  I spent the rest of the day keeping it up and iced.  It continued to ache, even with all those meds in my system.  I debated whether or not to call the doctor, since it didn't look too swollen.  But Monday I finally decided I'd better get it looked at.  As I said before, I have quite a history of ankle injuries on this foot (twice in a cast for torn ligaments, a broken ankle and innumerable mild sprains)... and I'm 40 now.... I should probably be extra careful, so I don't end up running on some hidden damage and making it worse.  I got into an orthopedist on Tuesday.  An x-ray showed it wasn't broken just sprained (story of my life.  Only time it was broken was when I DIDN'T get an x-ray).  I came home with a new brace - and instructions to wait at least a week to start doing yoga (and stationary bike and elliptical - at least the dr. was taking me as a serious "exerciser") and at least two before I start running again.  I'm also supposed to wear the brace whenever I run (forever after).  The doctor also wants to do a "stress" x-ray in six weeks, to make sure I don't need surgery to tighten my ligaments after so many years of ankle injuries.  I'm not sure what to hope for - that my ankle is loose, but not enough to qualify for surgery (and I keep living with sprains) or that I need surgery (and insurance will cover it) and I get to spend weeks not walking/driving and weeks in physical therapy....  neither seems like a great option.



My ankle did finally bruise up very pretty on day three.  


And now, a week after I fell, it is still sore and aches.  I've been doing some long walks, so I may be pushing it a little hard.



No comments:

Post a Comment