Monday, April 4, 2016
Power Outage
Last night we had the first LONG power outage it the decade I've lived here, just over four hours. As a kid I always enjoyed it when the power went out. My dad would pull out the oil lamps and put a couple in the kitchen and one in the bathroom. Life would suddenly seem cozy... and more lovely. We seemed closer as a family... So I was kind of excited when the power went out and stayed out and a call to family out of town (to check online notices) confirmed our suspicion that we'd be without power the rest of the evening. We pulled out Monopoly for me and the kids to play out in the living room where there was lots of light. As the sun went down we pulled out our oil lamp (and some battery ones) and life suddenly seemed cozy. Nini really picked up on that feeling, even telling me how much she loved it as I tucked her in. She said it felt good to live a "simple life", without power, and that's why she likes being up in the mountains, too. It made me happy and I felt so connected to her. I've had many moments like that lately, where I feel how alike we are. It's amazing to finally be able to see ME in one of my children. She was sad to know the power would come back while she slept, so I told her we could almost make it seem like we didn't have power another night...
....and so here I am, sitting in a dark house, blogging... so we can recreate a power outage for her to go to sleep with tonight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment